Quote of the Month

When love and skill work together, expect a miracle. John Ruskin




Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February Nonfiction Ten for Ten- Dino-mite

This past summer in August I participated in the annual picture books ten for ten hosted by Cathy Mere educator and blogger at Reflect & Refine: Building a Learning Community and Mandy Robek educator and blogger at Enjoy and Embrace Learning.  My post, Xena's Favorite Dog Books, revolved around a theme rather than selecting my top ten overall.  I have since discovered that they along with Julie Balen, educator and blogger at Write at the Edge initiated another such event.  In February of last year they hosted a Nonfiction Books 10 for 10.  

As soon as the announcement for this year's celebration of nonfiction hit Twitter people began speculating whether they would select their top books they could not live without or pick a theme.  It's much easier for me to pick a theme, then select those books I would recommend.  In reviewing nonfiction picture books last year, there were three outstanding titles focusing on those prehistoric giants, dinosaurs.  I have had a great time discovering new titles and making sure I included those books whose appeal is lasting.




My top ten dinosaur books are listed in a Popplet titled Dinosaurs and Other Prehistorics. (Click the title to access the Popplet.)  The image below shows how the Popplet will look.   Follow this link to the blog hosting all the other participants.  Make sure you stop by Kid Lit Frenzy hosted by educator, Alyson Beecher.  Many of us link there weekly on Wednesdays for the 2014 Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge.




4 comments:

  1. Margie I have recently started looking at bringing more dinosaur titles into my collection - a lot of my books are older inspired by a class I had years ago that was dinosaur obsessed. Looking at this list with keen eyes! Thank you for this theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your students are going to like these books, Carrie. I can't think of one that wouldn't be good for them. If you DM me your address on Twitter I will send you a couple. I'm glad you liked this theme.

      Delete
  2. Margie,
    My students always enjoy the basket of dinosaur books, but I must admit I've tired of my collection which is full of many old titles. I was excited to click over to your Popplet to find so many new titles about dinosaurs. I'm going to have to check them out from the library to see what my students think. I will have to spend some time checking out the links you've provided too.

    I'm so glad you joined the fun,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy,
      I am very pleased with the work of authors and illustrators to bring these unique and informative titles to readers. I am confident your students are going to enjoy them. The Sabuda and Reinhart book as well as the Alphasaurs are stunning. In all of them the illustrations and text were great. Thanks for stopping by to comment and for hosting this challenge. It was fun!
      Margie

      Delete