Quote of the Month

When love and skill work together, expect a miracle. John Ruskin




Friday, June 1, 2012

Caldecott Challenge 2012 #4

It's a very good thing that this Caldecott Challenge is a stress free opportunity.  Finding myself teaching PE classes at four different grade levels one day a week this year, in addition to my library media center classes, was a huge hurdle in and of itself.  It's a good thing librarians are so good at finding exactly what is needed when it is needed.

One benefit of this quest has been to examine how the art is changing as the years pass.  Another gain for me, personally, has been a sure and secure love of the Caldecott books, not that I didn't pretty much wish already I could own all of them.   I have never really gone back to the beginning and looked each and every one over carefully, wondering what made it stand out to receive the honor of Caldecott Medal or Caldecott Honor.  I am developing a love for illustrators I hardly knew before this challenge was started.

For that reason I wish to thank LibLaura5 blogger, tweeter and librarian for beginning this with the help of her librarian friend, Anna.  I have been having a great time even if I am only up to 1950.  The year 1950 was included in a post I did about previewing Penzu.  Below is my Capzle covering the years 1947, 1948 and 1949.

No comments:

Post a Comment