Quote of the Month

When love and skill work together, expect a miracle. John Ruskin




Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Treasured Trailers

This past Sunday I stopped over to author Grace Lin's blog to read and listen to her post, Sunday Chinese School.  When I was there I noticed the book trailer for her most recent title, Starry River of the Sky.  I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC of this book, writing my review shortly before it was published.  I had completely missed the book trailer prior to the book's release.  It's short, captivating and truly lovely.





My mind being what it is, I next thought about all the book trailers I'd personally watched and subsequently shown to my students during 2012.  I decided to gather some of my favorites in one spot with a post.  I've only included books read and reviewed here at this blog.  The reviews are embedded in the books' titles.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed watching them again and again.


Our new year began with the publication of The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate on January 17, 2012.  Like many in our online book community Ivan's death broke our collective hearts.  I wrote a post about this also.





One of the most lighthearted book trailers with a tune you will be humming all day long is from the equally funny book, Another Brother written and illustrated by Matthew Cordell published January 31, 2012.





How appropriate that the book birthday for Wonder by R. J. Palacio was February 14, 2012.  The power of kindness, of love, in all its many forms touched readers everywhere.





Another book filled with hope celebrated a birthday on February 14, 2012.  And Then It's Spring written by debut author Julie Fogliano with illustrations by Caldecott artist, Erin Stead.





If you are a regular reader at my blog you know I love and collect alphabet books.  I was thrilled with this new title, Z is for Moose written by Kelly Bingham with illustrations by Caldecott artist, Paul O. Zelinsky finding a place on shelves February 28, 2012.




To welcome in spring of 2012 on March 27 Green written and illustrated by Caldecott artist Laura Vaccaro Seeger found its way into the hands of readers.  They repeatedly remark on the beauty of this book, the skill of the die-cut alignment.




I was completely captivated by Jennifer A. Nielsen's The False Prince published on April 1, 2012.  It's one of those books filled with non-stop twists and turns causing it to never be on the shelf.




Hilarity at every turn of page and in every frame of the book trailer is what Chloe and the Lion written by Mac Barnett with illustrations, using everything but the kitchen sink, by Adam Rex has in store for readers.  This book's birthday was on April 3, 2012.





A picture book about a lasting but unusual friendship was released on April 10, 2012, Boy + Bot written by Ame Dyckman, illustrated by Dan Yaccarino.  John Schumacher, teacher librarian and blogger at Watch. Connect. Read. celebrated this publication by uploading the trailer on YouTube.  He is also the inspiration for this entire post.  




There is simply too little laughter in our world.  But author Christoper Healy remedies that in spades with the first title in a new series, The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom published on May 1, 2012.  It's an insider look at fairy tale favorites guaranteed to brighten any day.





One of the many rewards of reading is learning about places, people and events.  Fiction has taught me as much as, if not more than, nonfiction.  Well-written fiction urges me to find out more about a place, a person or an event mentioned or the focus of a title.  Chained, released on May 8, 2012, by Lynne Kelly is one of those books.




Here is another book touching on the rarest of friendships; what one is willing to do for another.  On June 5, 2012 A Home for Bird written and illustrated by Philip C. Stead was sent out into the world.
It is my understanding that Mr. Stead also does the music for his videos.




One of the most spellbinding fantasies I read with the speed of light this summer was Seraphina written by Rachael Hartman.  Even now, months after it's date of publication on July 10, 2012, the characters, events and world linger in my mind.




In the middle of August, the 16th to be exact, a book celebrated its birthday.  This book told the story of  a family who grew to live and love the middle of the night.  The Insomniacs written by Karina Wolf with illustrations by The Brothers Hilt, a debut endeavor of all of them, is stunning.




The 4th of September, 2012 rolled around with the publication of Bear Has A Story to Tell written by Philip C. Stead with illustrations by Caldecott artist Erin E. Stead.  It's a beautiful, sweet tribute to the power of friendship, patience and story.





As I finished reading Because Amelia Smiled written and illustrated by Caldecott artist, David Ezra Stein, the phrase, No one needs a smile as much as he who has none left to give, kept rolling around in my mind.  We never know how a smile will touch those who see it.  This book was published on September 11, 2012.




Readers were fortunate this year to have a variety of fractured fairy tales introduced into the book world.  One such release on September 27, 2012 was The Three Ninja Pigs written by Corey Rosen Schwartz with illustrations by Dan Santat.  Action, outstanding visuals and a girl-power twist bring this to the top.




A question asked by his daughter prompted Matthew Cordell to write and illustrate hello! hello!  We lucky readers got to read the results on October 30, 2012.  I personally purchased ten copies of the title to give as gifts.





Already a fan of the two previous titles in the series, Mal and Chad: Belly Flop! was a hit.  It made the month of December even better with its book birthday on December 6, 2012.  Never have there been a boy and his dog quite like these two and author Stephen McCranie made sure this new book hit the scene with a splash.





One of my favorite videos this year about the illustrative process is the one by Peter Brown for his work with Creepy Carrots written by Aaron Reynolds, published on August 21, 2012.





One of the highlights of 2012 for me was to meet and briefly chat with author, Lauren Oliver.  Even though Liesl & Po was published on October 4, 2011, the book trailer remains one of my favorites of all-time.



I hope you are able to enjoy and use these book trailers to enrich the reading experience for those whose lives you touch.  If you would like to see one added to the mix, please feel free to comment below.


2 comments:

  1. I've only just recently discovered book trailers and I am in love! I can't wait to share them with my first graders and incorporate them into my blog! Thank you for putting all of these great ones in one place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jennifer. I love using them too! Put them together with a book talk and your students will be hooked. Or use them to introduce an author study. Have fun!

      Delete