Quote of the Month

When love and skill work together, expect a miracle. John Ruskin




Sunday, July 20, 2014

One Saturday Morning-Peter Brown

Just a little over twenty-four hours ago, I made a thirty-minute trip to a nearby town.  It is the beginning of the annual Venetian Festival in downtown Charlevoix, Michigan.  As I drove down Bridge Street (the main street) old and antique cars lined the parking spots and were scattered across the green bordering the marina.  It was also the yearly Art in the Park in the city of Petoskey, my destination.

After parking my car, walking several blocks and up a hill, I found myself standing in front of the Carnegie Building, site of the former public library. McLean & Eakin Booksellers, my favorite independent book store, had a display at the base of the steps announcing the visit of author illustrator Peter Brown.  Stepping inside this lovely old building was like going back in time.  A large open area held seating for all the guests with a spot for the children near where Peter Brown would address his readers.

Peter Brown began his session by telling us about his childhood love of drawing and writing showing us examples.  His presentation was filled with the wit and charm found in his books.  His focus was on his newest title, My Teacher Is A Monster! (No I Am Not.).  He explained his inspiration for creating this particular book before reading it to his guests.  It's a wonderful experience to hear an author illustrator read their own book aloud, giving emphasis to those parts they feel are most important.  Ms. Kirby's voice could not have been better.


Finishing up his session Peter Brown demonstrated how Ms. Kirby came to life drawing her in stages so we all could see the combination of shapes and lines.  I was the final person to have my books signed.  Listening to Peter Brown interact with his readers was a true joy.  He loves what he does and it shows.










4 comments:

  1. Very envious. I hope to find that he is speaking somewhere close by soon. I love how all his books speak to children and adult alike. I would love to share his words and ideas with my class - maybe even take a few to hear him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a wonderful morning, Brenda. Here is the link to his event schedule. I hope that one of these stops are near you. http://www.peterbrownstudio.com/event-schedule/#.U80f1PldWSo

      Delete
  2. What an amazing opportunity! :) Happy for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a day to remember. It was lots of fun for everyone.

      Delete