Quote of the Month

When love and skill work together, expect a miracle. John Ruskin




Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Happy Birthday, John!

This year on June 11, 2013 I had one of the best birthdays I have ever had.  I did not go anyplace special or do anything out of the ordinary but when I was visiting all the blogs I read each day, I saw a heading that read Happy Birthday, Margie!  You would think after all these years nothing would surprise me but I was indeed surprised.  To this day I am deeply appreciative of the kindness extended to me by the one and only John Schumacher, Mr. Schu.

He is a beacon to each and every one of us in the teacher librarian community, a constant source of inspiration to all educators hoping to pass on their love of reading, books and integrating technology into their classrooms.  Each day our Twitter feed is filled with his links, hints and advisories.  Each of us are collectively his colleagues and his patrons.

His blog, Watch. Connect. Read. features book trailers, author, illustrator and educator interviews, current and upcoming events in his library, highlights before and after the monthly #SharpSchu Book Club, he and Colby Sharp's weekly Newbery chats, videos, resources and so much more.  We lucky people have followed he and his friend, teacher librarian Donna, on their numerous summer road trips.  John has a passionate purpose to share his love of books and reading with every single person he meets by giving away books to as many people as he can, especially the Newbery Award Medal book, The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate.    He is currently serving on the 2014 Newbery Medal Award committee.

Today on his birthday he begins another adventure as a member of the committee for selecting the new National Ambassador for Young People's Literature.  I hope all of you will join me and shout out a Happy Birthday to John so he can hear it loud and clear in New York City.  John, I, too, am thankful every day to call you my friend.

To celebrate John's Birthday I am giving away five of his favorite kind of picture books, wordless.  The titles below  Bluebird, Flora and the Flamingo, Journey, The Boy and the Airplane and Inside, Outside have been featured on his blog, some several times.

Remember:

  • You must be 13 years or older to participate.
  • This giveaway will run from 12:00 AM EST on August 28, 2013 until 12:00 AM on August 29, 2013. 
  • Take time for reading





Wishing you the best birthday ever, John and thank you for everything.




8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful friendship the two of you have and what a thoughtful way to honor his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julee. We both enjoy giving books away to grow the book love, so this is perfect.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Life is too short not to have as much fun as possible. There's not much better than giving books away.

      Delete
  3. This is a great giveaway. I am working on inference with my 4th graders and we read Bluebird today. I saw a few tears and I was excited to their reactions as we went through the book together. We are reading Journey tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by to participate in the giveaway. Bluebird and Journey are exceptional books, each beautiful in their own way. I'm happy you are sharing these books with your students. There is much give and take between the author/illustrator and the reader in both these titles; so many possibilities.

      Delete